Wednesday, January 17, 2007

"Sorry" ain't gonna cut it here, asswipe.


POGGE follows up on Bush administration douchebag Charles "Cully" Stimson, whose "apology" for threatening detainees' attorneys falls slightly short of the mark:

During a radio interview last week, I brought up the topic of pro bono work and habeas corpus representation of detainees in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Regrettably, my comments left the impression that I question the integrity of those engaged in the zealous defense of detainees in Guantanamo. I do not.

I believe firmly that a foundational principle of our legal system is that the system works best when both sides are represented by competent legal counsel. I support pro bono work, as I said in the interview. I was a criminal defense attorney in two of my three tours in the Navy Judge Advocate General's Corps. I zealously represented unpopular clients -- people charged with crimes that did not make them, or their attorneys, popular in the military. I believe that our justice system requires vigorous representation.

I apologize for what I said and to those lawyers and law firms who are representing clients at Guantanamo. I hope that my record of public service makes clear that those comments do not reflect my core beliefs.

Ooooooooh ... what a neat trick. Can I try?

During a blog post last week, I brought up the topic of Jews and the Holocaust and, apparently, my joke, "Why did the Auschwitz shower heads have 12 holes? Because Jews have 10 fingers." gave some people the impression that I don't like Jews and that I'm anti-Semitic. I am not, and that joke simply doesn't reflect my core beliefs."

Wow. That was easy. So we're good here, then? Right?

Besides, you were taking me all out of context. There was that, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Bushies are stupendously inept at actually running a country/war(s), but they are quite good at PR. The fact that we are now discussing this idiot tool means that the MSM is not now discussing the fact that the majority of gitmo inmates are classed by even the US military as innocent, yet still locked up, that inmates are still being treated like animals and that the US constitution is WPE’s toilet paper. But I guess that if this was part of a strategy to deflect attention they would probably have given this guy a job title other than “Deputy Assistant Secretary of defence for detainee affairs”. So maybe they did just fucked this one up as well.

I love the smell of freedom & democracy in the morning.

catnip said...

I'm trying to remember what it smells like.