Friday, January 30, 2009

Outrage can be so context dependent, can't it?


Blogging Tory Jabba the Roy is appalled -- appalled, I tell you -- by a mother who killed her child:

An evil woman

Matthew 18:6But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

This woman should die in prison. What a horrible creature. Why didn't she just give the child to the biological father. I'm sure any number of people would have taken this child in. This woman is just evil.

As opposed to the Biblically devout, I suppose, but I'm betting dr. roy would rather talk about something else at this point.

They always do.

P.S. If I had any sense, I don't think I'd be using Scripture to demonstrate my compassion for the young'uns, if you catch my drift:

23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. "Go on up, you baldhead!" they said. "Go on up, you baldhead!" 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths. 25 And he went on to Mount Carmel and from there returned to Samaria.

If you were looking for examples of Christian compassion towards children, I'd recommend avoiding 2 Kings 2. Trust me on that one.

10 comments:

Sheena said...

hmm... 2nd Kings was Old Testament, so pre-Christian, really...

Niles said...

Yes, going Old Testament is always pre-Christian. Until it isn't.

How's that anti-homosexuality biblical defense go again?

wv: 'abled' as in 'disabled ranting when the Old Testament is disallowed'

LuLu said...

Nope.

The Evangelical Christian wingnuts love them some Old Testament -- it's got all the best hate in it.

Anonymous said...

maybe dr roy can give some more legal advice....

CanadaHolly said...

And then there was Abraham and Hagar and cute little Ishmael.

Though if you want something in the NT, the deaths of that husband and wife who did sell all they owned, but didn't give it all to the church -- that must have been a bit offputting to the other parishioners.

Noni

KEvron said...

passover, anyone?

KEvron

KEvron said...

"so pre-Christian, really"

yebbut, lolroy is a "proud friend of israel", so....

KEvron

KEvron said...

i sooo win this thread.

KEvron

Pearce said...

http://angryflower.com/bibbal.html

What I thought of when I read this post. Excellent stuff.

Dr.Dawg said...

I'm never going to mock Larry O'Brien's hairdo again.