Saturday, January 24, 2009

Sometimes, people have the right idea.


At first, I was annoyed:

Bibles reaching captive audience
By PHIL HAMILTON - The Dominion Post | Saturday, 24 January 2009

The word of God was originally delivered from on high and a Christchurch woman is attempting to take it back there.

Redcliffs architect Ria Wayne is trying to put Bibles into every Department of Conservation hut in New Zealand.

Since she began her mission eight years ago, forming charitable trust Seek Freedom, she and trust volunteers have put Bibles into 375 of DOC's 950 huts.

The idea first came to her after meeting four Australians at French Ridge Hut below Mt Aspiring who had been trapped by the weather for four days.

"I realised then this was a captive audience," she told the Salvation Army's magazine, War Cry.

Then I realized those Kiwis aren't all that dumb:

Grant Piper, a former Canterbury/Westland Alpine Club president, said it was good to have any sort of reading material in the huts.

"I don't think anyone really cares either way, so good on them," he said.

And they could definitely come in handy.

"Given the option of a ropey old Reader's Digest I would rather use a page from a Bible to start a fire."

That's the spirit, mate.

GOOD MORNING, PHARYNGULOIDS
: It's Sunday morning -- shouldn't you all be in Church? Oh, and go read Larry Moran. You'll like him. Trust me.

On the other hand, if you haven't had your weekly quotient of stupid, well, buckle up ... and don't say I didn't warn you.

7 comments:

Lindsay Stewart said...

and don't forget to wipe...

chuckgoecke said...

I'd recommend hip waders....

moother said...

you arse wipes are using my leaves that could better go to skinning up!!!!

Shadowstreak said...

Indeed, CC... good morning. Though it's Monday here.

Normally, I'm kinda against burning books, but it's not as though these particular books are rare or anything.

The Doc said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the article I flicked you ;)

Flonkbob said...

Lovely. Glad to see they're taking the right tack here. It would be a terrible waste to just toss 'em out without using them for something valuable. These may be the only bibles on earth that are of any use whatsoever.

Unknown said...

It's not called a byebull for nothing!